- 24,302 cases related to information appeals pending with the Central Information Commission as on Thursday, according to the CIC website.
- This backlog is in spite of the fact that the Commission is returning a majority of appeals coming to it, citing lack of documentation, premature appeals or forwarding of cases to the relevant State Information Commissions.
- As per data available on the CIC website, in 2017 alone, of the 18,518 cases registered as appeals, the CIC returned 13,796 cases to appellants citing one reason or the other.
- Sources in the CIC blame the lack of sufficient staff strength as among the reasons why their backlog is increasing.
- There is an understanding that every Information Commissioner handles approximately 270 cases a month, that is 3,240 cases per year.
- So, when two ICs are not available, it adds a burden of up to 6,000 cases per year.
- This is too much and it will definitely affect the quality of the judgment.
Central Information Commission
Source : The Hindu
Topic : Polity