Important provision of the bill
- Rights of Person : The bill promises equal rights to the people affected by HIV and AIDS in getting treatment, admissions in educational institutions and jobs.
- Discrimination : The bill emphasizes that there will be no discrimination against persons infected with HIV on ground of treatment, employment and workplace. If someone fails to adhere to the provisions of the bill, he/she will be penalised.
- Guardianship : The bill also has provisions to safeguard the property rights of HIV positive people, which means that every HIV infected person below the age of 18 years has the right to reside in a shared household and enjoy the facilities of the household.
- Test and Medial treatment : The bill also ensures that no HIV test, medical treatment or research will be conducted on an infected person without his informed consent.
- Disclosure : It also has a provision under which no person shall be compelled to disclose his HIV status except with his informed consent, and if required, only by a court order.
- The Bill also prohibits any individual from publishing information or advocating feelings of hatred against HIV positive persons and those living with them.
Source : The Hindu
GS III : Development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources