Scientists have developed the first global Internet Atlas including a detailed map of the internets physical structure in India an advance that could help guard the infrastucture from terrorism or extreme weather events.
What is an internet Atlas ?
- Internet Atlas is a new visualization and analysis portal for diverse Internet measurement data.
- Atlas is a geographically anchored representation of the physical Internet including (i) nodes (e.g., hosting facilities and data centers), (ii) conduits/links that connect these nodes, and (iii) relevant meta data (e.g., source provenance).
- This physical representation is built by using search to identify primary source data such as maps and other repositories of service provider network information.
About Global Internet Atlas
- Internet Atlas developed by researchers from University of Wisconsin-Madison in the US and their collaborators.
- Over 1,200 maps worldwide including India and all the data are connected using web search.
- Mapping the physical internet helps stakeholders boost performance and guard against a number of threats, from terrorism to extreme weather.
Source : The Hindu