Tripura government has commenced the land acquisition process for the construction of India-Bangladesh Friendship Bridge.
About the Project
- India-Bangladesh Friendship Bridge constructed over river Feni that demarcates boundaries between the two countries in south Tripura.
- The process for acquiring land for a four-lane approach road and a connecting road on Indian side in southern Tripura has also begun.
- the construction of the 150-metre bridge which will connect Sabroom of India and Ramgarh in Bangladesh.
- The bridge would facilitate implementation of a protocol India earlier signed with Bangladesh to use Chittagong sea port as a ‘port of call’.
- The port is 72 kilometre away from Sabroom.
- India is also expanding rail network up to Sabroom to handle cargo consignments that would arrivefrom Chittagong port.
- Ultimate connectivity plan is to benefit Tripura and other landlocked northeastern States with international and domestic shipments using the sea port.
- River in the Indian state of Tripura and southeastern Bangladesh.
- It is a trans-boundary river with an ongoing dispute about water rights.
- The Feni River originates in South Tripura district and flows through Sabroom town and then enters Bangladesh.
Source : The Hindu
GS III : Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc