Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC), India’s apex regulator for genetically modified seeds cleared GM mustard for environmental release and use in farmer fields. If it get final nod from Environment Ministery GM mustard would be the first transgenic food crop.
What is Gm Mustard?
DMH (Dhara Mustard Hybrid)-11 is genetically modified variety of mustard developed by Centre for Genetic Manipulation of Crop Plants at Delhi University. It was Government sponsored project. Mustard is one of India’s most important winter crops sown between mid-October and late November.
- Yields about 30% more than a traditional.
- Need to raise domestic crop yields and cut dependence on imports.
- Can affect honeybees directly and indirectly through effecting flowering and pollen production.
- It will force farmers to use only select brands of agro-chemicals because it use external gene that makes the plant resistant to herbicide.
- May adversely affect environment, human and animal health.
Source : The Hindu
GS III : Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life