Gorkha Janmukti Morcha is a political party which campaigns for the creation of a separate state Gorkhaland within India, out of districts in the north of West Bengal started their agitation. Supporters stepped up its protests in Darjeeling, against Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) agreement which was set up in 2011 after an agitation.
What is Gorkhaland ?
- Gorkhaland is a proposed state in India demanded by the people of the Darjeeling Hills and the people of Nepali-Indian Gorkhas ethnic origin on the Northern part of West Bengal.
- Their Demand based on linguistic and cultural difference with regard to Bengali culture.
- Darjeeling movement for Gorkhaland has gained momentum in the line of an ethno-linguistic-cultural sentiment of the Nepali language speaking Indian people who desire to identify themselves as Indian Gorkhas.
- Two mass movements for Gorkhaland have taken place under the Gorkha National Liberation Front (1986–1988) and Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) (2007–present).
- Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) agreement, entered into between the Centre, West Bengal government and the GJM in 2011.
Gorkhaland Territorial Administration and issues
- A semi-autonomous administrative body for the Darjeeling hills, was signed on 18 July 2011.
- A bill for the creation of GTA was passed in the West Bengal Legislative Assembly on 2 September 2011.
- The West Bengal government issued a gazette notification for the GTA Act on 14 March 2012, signalling preparations for elections for the GTA.
- In the elections of the GTA held on 29 July 2012, GJM candidates won from 17 constituencies and the rest 28 seats unopposed.
- Later in 2013, Gurung, leader of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, resigned from the GTA citing both interference from the West Bengal government and the renewed agitation for Gorkhaland.
- The agitation started as a protest against perceived imposition of Bengali language in the hills of West Bengal where Nepali is the official language.
- GJM leadership marked the end of the regional developmental board in the hills in the GTA agreement.
- They started demanding Gorkhaland.
Source : The Hindu, Wikipedia
GS III : Internal Security