A web application was launched for providing free legal services to prisoners so as to ensure that no inmate goes unrepresented in court.
About the App
- The app is an initiative of National Legal Services Authority
- The application shall make the legal services system more transparent.
- It will be universally useful for all the relevant authorities to monitor the grant of legal aid to the prisoners.
- It will ensure no prisoner goes unrepresented right from the first day of his production in the court.
- The software will be able to generate reports showing total number of inmates, number of inmates unrepresented, number of inmates represented by legal services lawyers and number of inmates represented by private lawyers
- All the information can be generated state-wise, district-wise and also in respect of each jail.
National Legal Services Authority
- The National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) has been constituted under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
- The Chief Justice of India is the Patron-in-Chief and the Senior most Hon’ble Judge, Supreme Court of India is the Executive Chairman of the Authority.
- Aim is to provide free and competent Legal Services to the weaker sections of the society.
- NALSA ensure that opportunities for securing justice are not denied to any citizen by reason of economic or other disabilities, and to organize Lok Adalats for amicable settlement of disputes.
- Apart from the abovementioned, functions of NALSA include spreading legal literacy and awareness, undertaking social justice litigations etc.
Source : Indian Express, NALSA
GS III : Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures