Why in news ?
Veerashaiva/Lingayata Dharma demanded that it is an independent religion and is different from Hinduism and want independent religion status for the same.
Why they Claim a separate religion?
- There are two main religious streams in Hinduism — Shaivas and Vaishnavas.
- Veerashaiva is one among the seven sects of Shaivas.
- Both Shaivas and Vaishnavas uphold Vedas, Agamas, Shastras and Puranas and follow the Vedic religious practices.
- Historically, it is an independent religion founded by Basaveshwara in the 12th century.
- However, Lingayat religion founded by Basaveshwara vehemently opposed them.
- Lingayats are spread across Karnataka, Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and other States.
- Community leaders, in the memorandum, asked the government not to issue caste certificate as Veerashaiva Lingayat to Lingayat community members and recommend that the Union government recognise Lingayat as an independent religion.
Source : The Hindu
GS I : Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India