Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu has been elected as India’s 15th Vice-president who was a Former Union Minister.
Vice President Election
- Unlike the presidential election held recently, in which the electoral college also includes MLAs of all state assemblies and union territories, only MPs of the two Houses can vote in the vice-presidential election.
1. It consists of both elected and nominated members of the Parliament
2. It does not include the members of the state legislative assemblies
1. He should be a citizen of India.
2. He should have completed 35 years of age.
3. He should be qualified for election as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
4. He should not hold any office of profit under the Union government or any state government or any local authority or any other public authority.
1. He acts as the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha
2. He acts as President when a vacancy occurs in the office of the President
Source : In General News
GS II : Polity