Why In News
The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation launched a third party verification survey report to take stock of the progress already made by the Mission in rural India. The Quality Council of India (QCI) has conducted a transparent third-party assessment of the present status of rural sanitation in all States and UTs, called Swachh Survekshan Gramin 2017.
Key facts of survey
- QCI surveyed 1.4 lakh rural households across 4626 villages, and found the overall toilet coverage to be 62.45%.
- At the time of the survey, i.e. May-June 2017, the Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) MIS reported the coverage to be 63.73%.
- The survey also observed that 91.29% of the people having access to a toilet, use it.
- Kerala and Haryana have topped the survey.
- Northeastern States of Sikkim, Manipur and Nagaland have performed well with 95% rural households covered by toilets.
- And so were the Himalayan States of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand with over 90% toilet coverage of the rural houses.
- Tamil Nadu was the other performer as 79% rural households had access to a toilet.
- Uttar Pradesh and Bihar were among the worst performers in terms of rural sanitation. In Bihar, only 30% of the rural household had access to toilets while Uttar Pradesh was marginally better at 37% . Another State, Jharkhand, too scored the same as U.P.
- Gujarat fared better in terms of rural sanitation as 85% of rural households had access to toilets.
Source : The Hindu
GS I : Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies