India and Cyprus here today signed Work Plan for 2017–18 to implement an already singed MOU for cooperation in the agriculture sector.
- As per the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), the two countries have decided to work in joint research projects, conduct training/exchange programmes for scientists and experts working in specific agri-fields.
- It also covers exchange of germplasms and technology, promotion of private sector participation and joint workshops and conferences etc.
- The MoU will accelerate agricultural production to meet the rising demand for food, but also to increase the income of those dependent on agriculture.
- The initiatives taken as a part of government’s policy to target doubling farmers income by 2022.
Extra information about Cyprus
Republic of Cyprus is an island country in the Eastern Mediterranean and the third largest and third most populous island in the Mediterranean. It is located south of Turkey, west of Syria and Lebanon, northwest of Israel and Palestine, north of Egypt, and southeast of Greece.
Source : Pib
GS II : Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation, Phase-1 (Link 2) of the SAUNI (Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation) Yojana, at Botad. Also laid the Foundation Stone of Phase 2 (Link 2) of the SAUNI Yojana. The project envisages to channel the floodwater, which otherwise overflows the Narmada dam during monsoon and drains into the sea.
SAUNI (Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation) Yojana
- Project launched to divert one MAFt excess over flowing flood water of Narmada allocated to Saurashtra Region.
- The excess over flowing flood water of Narmada will be distributed to 115 reservoirs of eleven districts of Saurashtra through total 1126 km long four link pipelines benefitting 10,22,589 acre land. These links are
- Link: 1 From Machhu-II dam of Morbi district to Sani Dam of Jamanagar District
- Link: 2 Limbdi Bhogavo-II Dam of Surendranagar District to Raidi Dam of Amreli District
- Link: 3 From Dholidhaja Dam of Surendranagar District to Venu-I Dam of Rajkot District
- Link: 4 From Limbdi Bhogavo-II Dam of Surendranagar District to Hiran-II Irrigation scheme of Junagadh
- Under Sauni yojana, work of about 230 Km length of pipeline works are commenced since March 2014 and are under progress.
Source : Pib
GS III : different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage