Union Ministry for Power, Coal , New & Renewable Energy and Mines launched Weather Portal for Power Sector in association with POSOCO and IMD at the meeting of the Forum of Regulators here today .
Need for the initiative
Weather variations have an impact on load demand and energy production, transport and distribution management, as well as energy prices. Extreme events such as heat waves or cold waves, wind storms or floods can of course have dramatic consequences on the production means or the electrical grid of a country including physical damage to the infrastructure.
Information from the portal
Regional Weather Summary : This provides Weather Outlook for the Region for the current day and upto next 7 days. Weather stations of Meteorological department have been mapped to the nearest important Electrical Station/ Power Stations in each State.
- Nowcast : It is used to forecast weather for a short period ahead, updated every 3 hours
- Weather Forecast : It is provided for the current day and next 6 days
- Weather Warning : Special Nowcast warning is issued for the next 3 hours.
Radar : The Doppler Weather Radar generates different displays and derived products of practical utility based on standard algorithms. These displays are updated every 10 minutes.
Satellite Images : INSAT 3D is being used to monitor the Weather of Indian Origin. The image is updated every 30 minutes.
Meteogram : The Meteogram at Web-Portal provides plots for Meteorological variables such as Rainfall, Cloud Cover, Temperature, Humidity, Wind, Speed, Sea Level Pressure, Indices for Thunderstorm etc. for 10 days with a resolution time of three hours. Each Meteogram provides information for the 10 km radius.
Region Specific Forecast : Fog Forecast, Metar, Bay Bulletin, Coastal Area Bulletin, Cyclone, Port Warning etc.
‘MERIT’ (Merit Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency)
- Developed by Ministry of Power in association with POSOCO and Central Electricity Authority.
- The MERIT Web portal displays information regarding the merit order of Electricity procured by State(s) such as daily state-wise marginal variable costs of all generators, daily source-wise power purchases of respective states/UTs with source-wise fixed and variable costs, energy volumes and purchase prices.
- The web-portal also give information regarding reasons for deviation from merit order such as must run conditions, transmission constraints etc.
Source : Pib
GS III : Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc