Centre released the list of cleanest cities of the country as a part of Swachh Survekshan Survey. Every year, cities and towns across India are awarded with the title of ‘Swachh Cities’ on the basis of their cleanliness and sanitation drive as a part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- Union Urban development minister Venkaiah Naidu released the list which was finalised by the Quality Council of India.
- Indore and Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh have emerged as the cleanest cities in the country
- The dirtiest city is Gonda in Uttar Pradesh.
- Survey, Swachh Survekshan-2017, was carried out by the Quality Council of India across 434 cities and includes the feedback of 18 lakh respondents.
- The top 10 cleanest cities : Indore, Bhopal, Visakhapatnam, Surat, Mysuru, Tiruchi, Delhi’s New Delhi Municipal Council area, Navi Mumbai, Tirupati and Vadodara.
- Gujarat has 12 cities among the top 50, followed by Madhya Pradesh – 11, Andhra Pradesh with eight, Tamil Nadu and Telangana four each..
Criteria for survey
Criteria of the rankings are as follows : 45 per cent marks for open defecation free, solid waste management, education and capacity building, another 25 per cent marks for field inspection and 30 per cent for citizen feedback. At least 18 lakh citizens across the cities gave their feedback about the sanitation in their respective cities and towns.
Source : The Hindu
GS III : Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.